Adventure on Easter Monday
I had a rare four-days-off situation during Easter this year. It has been a fantastic short vacation with plenty of rest and spending time with Ewan and WY. Today is Easter Monday and a day off for LL and me but a work day for WY. We had some errands to run but also wanted to do something fun. So here's what we did.
1. Scootering at Lakeshore Promenade:
The lake of shimmering waters.
Very pretty weather.
It is one of the first Sunny spring day in Toronto. Barely warm enough to spend time outside. And a sunny day is so hard to come by these days I want to make sure we take advantage. So after running some errands, we went scootering at the Lakeshore promenade. It is right on Lake Ontario. I have been there by myself one year ago during one of my unplugged days. We also came here one time on a sweaty summer weekend, which was crowded and not so fun. Today was perfect as it is quiet. I didn't know where exactly to park. I found this park called Secret Park. It is nestled in a residential area away from the main drag (i.e. boat launch, etc). Today's weather was perfect as well. Just warm enough to keep you from having to wear thick winter coat but cool enough to be sweaty.
Taking a break from throwing rocks into the water
Someone is ready to fight
Whatcha looking at LL?
View from where I was parked
Couldn't believe I found such a nice parking lot.
Cool little wooden bridge
Pretending to fish.
Ewan and I scootered all around the waterfront trail waving to everyone he sees. Everyone seems to be in a good mood. We stopped occasionally to see the impressive Lake Ontario. We went up on a lookout point on top of a giant rock. Ewan was a little scared but he did it anyway with me holding his hand. He asks if it is an ocean because he could not see land. And he asks if there are sharks or jellyfish.
There's also a man-made beach. As we roll by, I couldn't help but stop to take a picture of that glistening water. So pretty. Reminds me of the lake in the Anne of Green Gables story in PEI. There was a photographer laying flat on his belly to angle his long camera lens to get a shot of a duck. Ewan asks if he is homeless. The kid cracks me up.
Of course, Ewan channeled his inner karate and starting waving his makeshift bo staff around and making up his own Kata. He also had a blast chucking stones and sticks into the water.
The other memorable experience, though not exactly pleasant, was the public washroom. It was hot which made the pungent smell of urine extra noticeable.
2. Jamaican Food and YouTube in the Car:
Taking a break after 2 hr of scootering
Macoroni salad and slaw
Mango drink.
Oxtail baby!
Jerk chicken. Need I say more?
After a few hours of cruising, we were tired and hungry. So back to the we went and we had some water and a small snack. Meanwhile, I wanted to find that swarma place I went to last time but it seems to be replaced by a Jamaican place - Suzie's Jamaican Jerk. The place has very good reviews and I like supporting local restaurants so off we went to pick up some food (a very late lunch) and also for dinner. My intention is to expose LL to a variety of culture through food. We ordered jerk chicken, ox tail and a beff patty - it was LL's first. He also picked out this really yummy mango cocktail drink. Don't even know how he found it. I thought he'd get a Nestea. We chatted with the owner Suzie a bit. She was friendly and welcoming. After using the facilities and washing up, we grabbed the food and went into the car. LL enjoyed some LoL moments courtesy of Spongebob Square-pants while I fed him Jamaican patty, ox tail with rice. He promptly washed it down with the mango nector. We filled our bellies and I enjoyed watching him relaxed and happy. And at that moment, my life was perfect.
3. Ice Cream at a 66-Year-Old Creamery:
What's better than sodtserve dipped icecream at an iconic creamery?
This was spontaneous. Two minutes into our drive home, I saw Dairy Cream (not Dairy Queen), which is at their 66th seasons. So I ask LL if he wanted icecream. Next thing I know, we were at the incredibly charming counter ordering. I can picture people 70 years ago coming here to grab a cone and chill. This place is usually packed on the weekends, but today, no line up. I didn't know what to order so I ask the nice lady. To my surprise, she told me there is a special going on today. Junior cones are $2 (regular $2.55) because it is Dairy Cream's birthday. So we ordered two. LL got cotton candy with vanilla softserve and I ordered a twist softserve with peanut butter dip. OMG, so good. And at a price cheaper than McDonald's.
As we drove home, LL was still enjoying the icecream. Then he told me his tummy is not feeling so well. Probably from eating too much. It is funny how kids always have room for icecream.
It's a wrap:
Today was a good lesson (for me) on listening. I haven't been the most patient dad lately so I am working on being more attentive. LL had said that he'd like to do one thing amidst the errands. I listened and acted. And we got some important errands done also. This is what life is about - enjoying doing things you like with people you love. And experiencing new things.
LL won't be this age forever and after a few more sleeps, he'll want to hang with his friends more than his old man. I hope he remembers days like today whether it is running errands, discovering new places on wheels or indulging in new flavours. I hope that he will treasure of these special moments with Dad.

















Comments
Post a Comment